We spent a lot of time thinking about weddings, but we absolutely love an opportunity to plan one of the exciting events that takes place leading up to the big day—the bridal shower! When it comes to showers there are so many different directions you can go in. Why not plan something a little unexpected? These are our five favorite ideas for fun and refreshing summer bridal shower.
1. Wine Tasting Brunch (Photos by Alyse French Photography) Thinking about a wine-themed shower? Kick it up a notch by adding in a surprise tasting for the bride and her guests. Serve small flights of local wines, including my personal favorite, Stone Table Red from Jonathan Edwards Winery in North Stonington.
2. Lingerie Shopping Night (Photo by Sarah Yates) Put a new spin on the traditional lingerie shower by inviting the bride to a night out at one of her favorite lingerie boutiques. Treat the guest of honor to a little something lacy, and while you’re at it pick out something for yourself! Check into Sugar Cookies in NYC and Beneath The Gown in Clinton, CT.
3. Backyard Lobster Bake (Photo via Pinterest) It’s practically a sin to live in New England and not indulge in rich, buttery seafood every chance you get! The laid back atmosphere at this shower will bring guests together and get everyone excited for wedding day festivities.
4. Retro Cocktail Party (Photo by Raw Photo Design) Who says showers must be limited to the ladies? Invite couples to a swinging cocktail party that mimics the age when skirts were fuller and Manhattans were the cocktail du jour.
5. Summer Pool Party (Photo by Aaron Pinkston) Channel your inner kid at a pool party honoring the bride-to-be. Spend the afternoon sipping frozen cocktails and working on your wedding day tan. Essentials: Extra SPF and these adorable floating flamingo drink holders!